As I’ve started writing these TWIRBS up more regularly, I’m surprised to see just how much worthwhile stuff is written/said/noted about rogues even during weeks like the one we just had, where basically nothing of note actually happened with the class.
PvPers Go Hmm
- PODCAST: A gaggle of some of our most accomplished active rogue PvPers — Akaishuichi, Ayume, Hildegard, Mimmicktook, Pikaboo, Rzn, Samx and Woundman — took to the podwaves this weekend and recorded a loooong, wide-ranging discussion on a whole mess of PvP rogue topics. The full (107-minute!) podcast is up on Hildegarde’s Youtube channel, and he also separately posted a four-minute snippet of “consolidated feedback” for Blizzard, presumably because he knows there ain’t no way WoW PvP commander Brian Holinka’s gonna have the time to wade through two hours of audio. OR IS THERE.
- FORUMS: If listening to super-long podcasts ain’t your bag, you can also read Woundman’s ArenaJunkies thread from last week in which he ticked off the changes he feels the rogue class needs to be competitive in arena. Aside from plenty of trolls, there’s also good feedback from Hildegarde in that thread.
- ADD-ONS: LastRogue posted an updated add-on guide for PvP rogues, which includes specific recommendations for arena, battlegrounds and even while leveling.
Meanwhile, on the Patch 5.4 PTR
- NEW CLASS CHANGES: A new PTR build was datamined, and fansites spotted a whooole mess of changes — except to rogues. :) The only rogue-specific adjustment was to the tooltip of our Tier 16 raid set bonus (instead of “When you generate a combo point from Revealing Strike, Honor Amongst Thieves, or Seal Fate,” it now reads “When you generate a combo point from Revealing Strike’s effect, Honor Among Thieves, or Seal Fate). I’m relatively sure isn’t actually a change — I think it’s meant just to clarify the tooltip. (I also think the tweak didn’t clarify it very well at all. If they’re trying to say the bonus will proc whenever we use a combo point-generating ability on our target while the Revealing Strike debuff is active… well, why not say that? :) )
- NEW SHINIES: So, like I said, nothing new for rogues specifically. But we did get our first glimpse of how our legendary(!) cloaks will work (see the datamine for more), and we also got a first look at five interesting DPS trinkets that will drop in the Siege of Orgrimmar raid. I mention them briefly in this post over on Elitist Jerks, but I think I’ll do a blog entry about them as soon as our theorycrafting geniuses have had a chance to take a closer look. (In the meantime, you can look in on a pretty decent discussion that unfolded in the WoW rogue forum about the trinkets.)
PvE Theory-Ish Stuff
- TIER 16: Last week’s WoW Insider column analyzes the upcoming Tier 16 set bonuses, and explores why Blizzard may have chosen the specific types of bonuses they have.
- LOOKING BACK, AND AHEAD: Theorycrafter Fierydemise picks apart the good, the bad and the ugly of the “state of rogues” in the Throne of Thunder raid tier — and makes his early guesses as to how we’ll do as a class in the upcoming Siege of Orgrimmar raid.
The Legendary Quest Chain
- CELESTIAL CURSES: A number of rogues have expressed frustration with the Celestial Blessings quest, in which you have to fight Wrathion. A cool thread in the WoW rogue forum provides oodles of helpful advice, and WoW Insider posted its own guide last week as well
- FAN FICTION: The Godmother returns with another chapter of her new tale about a dwarf hunter who has been through hell and back again (as all of our characters have, in terms of game lore). A rogue is one of the key characters in this wonderfully written story. (To be fair, I should disclose some bias: I’ve been helping a bit with getting these chapters ready for prime time. But I wouldn’t be doing so if I didn’t think it was great stuff to begin with. And I don’t even like WoW fan fiction!)
- I GOT BORED: Hey, it’s not my fault. There hasn’t been a whole lot of juicy Patch 5.4 rogue news to write about yet. So I made up my own, and a few of you joined in (with some serious/cool ones as well as many goofy ones). Even Blizz Community Manager Daxxarri joined the fun! Here are a few of my favorite funny ones so far (yes, some are my own. DON’T JUDGE ME):
Phil (@Silversol1209) June 25, 2013
Josef Gremlin (@JosefGremlin) June 28, 2013
And that’s the week in rogueball. Don’t forget to stop in at the newly renamed Tweets From the Shadows page to see the latest twitterings from Blizzfolk on rogue-related subjects.