The third major patch of the Mists expansion is upon us! Most of the rogue-related changes are PvP oriented:
- Shuriken Toss will be nerfed (mostly). Its damage doubles, but so does its energy cost, and it loses its double-damage boost at >10 yards. Clicky for a closer look at these changes.
- Cloak and Dagger will be nerfed. It will only be usable while you’re in stealth — which means Sub rogues *won’t* be able to use it during Shadow Dance. (A previous plan to reduce the range from 30 to 20 yards has been reverted.)
- Find Weakness (Subtlety-only) will be buffed in PvE and nerfed in PvP. The passive ability will have its armor reduction reduced from 70% to 50% against player opponents, but increased from 70% to 100% against mobs, bosses and the like. (I’ve got a bit more on the FW change in this bloggy post.)
- Revealing Strike (Combat-only) will be buffed. The duration of the buff will increase from 18 to 24 seconds.
- Blade Flurry (Combat-only) damage will be adjusted in PvP. It will no longer “double dip” from resilience or PvP Power. If you’re attacking a player with other players nearby and those other players are hit by KS’s reflected damage, that damage won’t be modified by your PvP Power or their resilience, because those things will already have been calculated in the attack against your main target. This is more of a fix than a buff or nerf, but it’ll likely increase a rogue’s KS damage in some cases and reduce it in others.
- Glyph of Cheap Shot will be nerfed. It’ll increase the duration of Cheap Shot by half a second instead of a full second. (This, as well as the Glyph of Garrote change below, appears meant to make rogues a little less awesome with their crowd control in competitive PvP.)
- Glyph of Garrote will be nerfed. It’ll increase the duration of Garrote’s silence by 1 second instead of 1.5 seconds.
- Recuperate will be buffed in PvP. PvP Power will boost rogue self-heals by 40% (compared to 100% for healers and 70% for hybrids using their DPS spec). That 40% healing boost is also what other pure-DPS classes and tank specs will get. Some have expressed concerns that the Recuperate buff might not be enough to offset other PvP changes in store for 5.3.
- Tricks of the Trade will receive very specific tweaks that won’t impact rogues directly at all. The damage-boosting portion of TotT will no longer affect the death knight diseases Blood Plague and Frost Fever. Because of reasons.
Keep in mind that Patch 5.3 has been billed as a major non-raid content patch. It’s relatively light on PvE class-balance changes and heavy on stuff like PvP balance adjustments, new PvP settings (an arena and a battleground), a whole bunch of new PvE scenarios, a new quest hub and other fun things to do at max level other than raiding. Unless you only like raiding, in which case the patch will have very few new fun things to do at all, and you’ll have to suck up and deal with the wide range of other stuff there is to do in this game.
For additional news and updates and such regarding the patch, scope out my Patch 5.3-tagged posts for all the news that’s fit to e-print, and look over Blizzard’s official Patch 5.3 PTR notes for a full runthrough of the changes in store.